21 May 2008

Overhead press

Much is made of the bench press (although it certainly has its critics) and it is clearly one of the most popular exercises in gyms across the world. However, overhead pressing with a barbell has always been a part of my training schemes. Quite apart from being hugely satisfying, I feel it is a critical compound exercise.

Bench pressing has only enjoyed widespread popularity in the last 50 years, perhaps even less. For decades before the 1950s, strongmen and weightlifters were pressing weight overhead regularly. In fact, you’ll see that different variations of overhead press were not only a training staple; they were regularly performed during public feats of strength.

Done with the proper technique the overhead barbell press is a highly effective exercise and a very safe one at that, especially when the bar is taken from a shoulder height rack or support. I have performed both for years and have had more accidents during the bench press than the overhead press. Actually, I don’t think I have ever had an accident whilst overhead pressing. I noticed that my bench press actually stagnated during the brief occasions I omitted overhead presses from my training. There is nothing quite like it for improving the strength and development of the shoulders, triceps (and even a little upper chest if you military press). Not to mention improving core stability and balance if it is performed standing.

No comments: