26 May 2008

Using your lats during the bench press

As Keith Wassung points out in his article 'Bench Press and Tricep Training': "An often-overlooked component of the bench press is the use and development of the muscles of the back and in particular the lats. Very few lifters utilize the strength of the lats in their bench press and when they are able to incorporate lat contraction into their exercises, immediate increase is always achieved."

I had read about the involvement of the lats during the bench press quite a few times, but have never really thought about trying this technique. However, I am now going to keep it in mind each time I bench press. I did so today and, although I am nowhere near there in terms of lat strength, I think it will eventually make a difference. I anticipate a boost in speed and drive out of the hole.

No comments: